Rip's Rules For Fun!
Rip Van Winkle Campground (RVWCG) is located in a fragile forest and land trust. The rules created by Elton and Kay Johnson in 1966 were designed to maintain the natural beauty of the campground for generations to come. They are why you are able to enjoy the campground as it is. Please familiarize yourself, your children, your guests, and your camping neighbors with them so we can all enjoy this beautiful retreat from the world.
We are thrilled to have you. Have a wonderful visit!
- This is a recreational facility, not your residence.
- Parents — Your children are your responsibility at all times! You are expected to supervise them.
- All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult along the creek, pond, pool, and at the bounce park & playgrounds.
- Swimming is allowed at posted hours only. No one is allowed in the water without 2 adults present.
- Parents must accompany children to restrooms for their safety.
- NO children are permitted to use or carry axes, hatchets, knives, saws, air/BB guns, etc on the grounds.
- All tents must be set up where the sign indicates, on the woodchip pad. You will be required to move your tent if it is set up in any other place. RVs must be set up on the gravel pad. Tents are not allowed on RV sites or cabin sites and RVs are not allowed on tent sites or cabin sites. Vehicles must remain on roadways and driveways.
- Do not hang gas lanterns on trees. The heat kills even the largest of trees.
- Park speed limit is 5mph. Follow all NYS vehicle and traffic laws. This is for the safety of everyone.
- Gatherings of more than 6 people are not allowed on any site other than the group or rally area. If you want to have more than 7 people for meals, campfires, and/or camping you want a Group Site!
- Campers: It is your responsibility to register and pay for your visitors upon their arrival. Day visitors must be off the grounds by 10pm. The maximum number of people on site is 6 people in total. Unregistered people are trespassing. Guests who have unregistered visitors may have their reservations canceled and be told to leave the campground without a refund of fees paid.
- Empty porta toilets in the dumping station ONLY - not in the toilets. Disposable bag toilets are STRICTLY PROHIBITED!
- You must dispose of your garbage in one of the dumpsters or keep it in your car overnight until you can get to a dumpster. There is no trash pickup at your site. Leaving garbage out on your site attracts unwanted bugs and animals that may decrease your enjoyment.
- Small fires are allowed in the fire ring. Never leave a fire unattended. Do not move fire rings. No hibachis on picnic tables (They burn them!). *NO OUTSIDE FIREWOOD IS ALLOWED AT RVWCG*
- Pets must be leashed and licensed, may not be left alone on site, and must have up-to-date vaccinations with proof available on request. As your pet’s human slave you must clean up their waste and dispose of it appropriately. No pets are allowed in the beach or pool areas per NYS law. No pets are allowed in the cabins. All pets must be friendly. Dogs can not bark excessively.
- No picking or cutting any trees (including standing dead wood), shrubs, or flowers. All are for sale for $10 per inch measured from the ground up.
- No washing laundry/cooking utensils/dishes in restrooms or under faucets. Dishes should be washed on your site with environmentally safe soap. There are laundry facilities in the shower building.
- No firearms, air rifles, bows & arrows, or slingshots are permitted.
- All children riding bicycles must wear approved helmets for their protection.
- Do NOT handle, play with, chase, torture, kill, or in any way bother any animals you see. This includes: frogs, lizards, crayfish, snakes, birds, bunnies, dogs, cats, our ducks, etc.
- Maintain a quiet volume of TV, radio, and your voice for everyone’s enjoyment. QUIET HOURS ARE 10PM TO 8AM AND ARE ENFORCED!
- No generators allowed. Turn off car alarms. Skunks hate them even more than people do.
- Your well-being and the well-being of our staff is important to us. Any person using profane language (aka cursing), being verbally aggressive, being physically aggressive, attempting to intimidate another person, or acting in a manner that may be injurious or annoying to others, in the opinion of RVWCG staff, will be told to leave without a refund of fees paid.
- You give RVWCG permission to use your image or the image of your children for advertising/marketing purposes. For the safety of our camper guests, their visitors, and our staff, RVWCG employs AV monitoring.
- Check-in: Peak season (between Memorial Day to Labor Day) is Sun - Thurs 3pm to 8pm and Fri - Sat 3pm to 9pm. Off Peak season (opening to Memorial Day and Labor Day Monday to close of season) is Sun-Thurs 3pm to 7pm and Fri-Sat 3pm - 9pm. Check-out is 12 noon for all sites, every day of the season. This means you must leave RVWCG at that time. There is no early or late check-in or late check-out.
- In an EMERGENCY: If it is life-threatening, call 911 FIRST and then contact campground staff at 845-246-8114. Our address is 149 Blue Mountain Road, Saugerties, NY 12477 *You must know your location in the campground for us to find you!*